Scaffolding Steel Boards: Types, Features, Uses, Benefits
Scaffolding steel boards are an essential component of any construction project that involves working at a height. In recent years the metal scaffold boards have also made their place in decoration projects and renovations. In this blog, we have discussed – what are scaffolding steel boards, their types, why to use steel boards, features, use and application, and benefits.
What are Scaffolding Steel Boards?
Scaffolding components play a key role in the building and construction industry. Scaffolds help in preparing temporary structures providing support and stability to access and working platforms and ensure employees can perform their work safely. One of the key components of scaffolds is scaffolding steel boards. These pieces of temporary structures’ material are also called scaffold steel boards or walk-boards or scaffold planks.
These boards provide the surface on which construction employees and equipment can stand. The scaffolding steel boards are manufactured in different sizes and designs to suit different scaffolding applications as per Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
Steel scaffolding boards are manufactured from pre-galvanised steel that offer far greater durability benefits as opposed to traditional timber boards. and fully conform to BS-EN 12811.
Scaffolding steel boards or planks are made in profiled galvanized layers which guarantees their solidity and durability over the years. It provides a non-slip surface which allows anyone to work on the structure with the greatest safety. In order to ensure high safety and efficiency they are constructed with right and left hooks that allows their replacement with other ready made boards.
Types of Scaffolding Steel Boards
The types of scaffolding boards/planks or decks are classified on the basis of materials used for making and their different designs, for example:
Types of Scaffolding Boards By Material
1. Scaffolding Wooden Boards: The lumber used for making scaffolding boards must have more than six rings per inch. The most commonly used types of wood scaffolding board or decks are:
- Solid-sawn boards – Solid-sawn scaffolding boards or planks are generally made of Southern Pine and also from Douglas Fir, etc.
- Laminate veneer lumber (LVL) boards – These scaffolding boards are made from thin layers of wood material by bonded together with an exterior-grade adhesive.
2. Scaffolding Metal Boards: There are the two most common types of scaffolding metal board or planks like –
- Scaffolding steel boards – Demonstrate excellent strength and durability.
- Scaffolding aluminum boards – Scaffolding aluminum boards are light in weight and of low cost.
Types Scaffolding Steel Boards By Design
The boards are made in two designs such as:
1. Single Scaffolding Steel Boards: These are mostly used in brick masonry applications. These steel boards are designed to be positioned parallel to the wall surface keeping 1.2 meters away.
2. Double Scaffolding Steel Boards: These are generally used for stone masonry applications. These steel boards are designed to be placed in two rows for additional strength and stability.
Types Scaffolding Steel Boards By Hooks and Finishes
Spar Steel also manufactures and supplies scaffolding steel boards with hooks and without hooks.
1. Steel Boards without Hooks: Width of 225mm, Depth of 38mm & 63mm and all standard lengths up-to 6m.
2. Steel Boards with Hooks: Width of 225mm, Depth of 63mm and all standard lengths
3. Steel Boards in 2 Finishes: Painted / Pre-Galvanized and Hot Deep Galvanized
Spar Steel Industries Ltd. is known for manufacturing and supplying quality scaffolding steel boards in different types, standard sizes, finishes, with hook and without hook, etc in UAE, Dubai, the Middle East, UK, and other MENA countries.
Features of Scaffolding Steel Boards
There are various features of scaffolding steel boards such as:
Easy to replace steel scaffold boards: One of the most important features of scaffolding steel boards is the product designed to make erection and dismantling easier for scaffolders.
Spar scaffolding steel boards/SPARDECK can be used with all standard board retainers, limpet clamps, toe board clips or singles. Thus, there is no need to spend money on new fittings. It can be simply by replacing old scaffold boards, reuse existing fittings, and finally the steel scaffolding system is ready to use.
Other features are:
- It facilitates passage by two hooks supporting heads with depressed stiffening ribs.
- It provides non-slip depression without cutting edge.
- It works with all types and designed modular system and tube and clamp scaffold components.l
- It has a long term usage as the galvanized scaffolding steel boards do not absorb water or chemicals.
- It gives a smooth slip-resistant surface.
- It gives accurate dimensional finish.
- It provides strong durable design for construction standards.
Why to Use Scaffolding Steel Boards
There are various reasons why to use scaffolding steel boards in preparing temporary scaffold structure for building constructions works, for example:
1. Steel Boards are used to save money after 3 years
The lifespan of a fire resistant wood board is 3 years after that, it needs to be replaced. However, a scaffolding steel board has a lifespan of 15 years with a cost between 35 % to 40 % more than wood boards. As a result, there is a saving of money by replacing your wood boards with scaffolding steel boards.
2. Steel boards are used to reduce replacement rate by 500%
The wood boards need to be replaced 5-10% every year. Because the lifespan of wood boards is 3 years as compared to 15 years of steel scaffold boards. Thus, by using scaffolding steel boards or planks instead of wood boards, you will reduce your replacement rate by 500 %.
3. Steel boards need less erection and dismantling time
Steel scaffold boards for tube fittings are lighter than wood boards. Their handling is safer with faster erection and dismantling times. The Spar steel boards meet all the requirements of Health and Safety regulations.
4. Minimum risk of slip and fall accident
The unique surface with upward grip holes on scaffolding steel boards provides the highest possible non-slip features that minimizes the risk of fall and slip accidents while working on the boards.
5. Remain dry after rain or snow/ frost
The holes present on the surface of scaffolding steel boards ensure that the scaffolds are drained and kept dry as there is no need to sweep or turn the boards over after rain, snow or frost.
Use and Application of Scaffolding Steel Boards
Scaffold steel boards are one of the three main components of the scaffolding temporary platform, alongside tubes and couplers. The application of steel boards are in various fields like:
- The steel boards are used to make safe working platforms within the scaffold structure at construction sites.
- Scaffolding steel boards are fire resistant that are ideally suited to scaffolding works across many industries like petrochemical, the Oil & Gas industry, and building construction.
- Generally in oil & gas companies, hot-dip galvanized scaffold steel boards are always required for onshore and offshore construction and maintenance work.
- The steel scaffold boards are used in chemical scaffolding, power plant scaffolding, energy scaffolding, mining, and refining scaffolding.
Benefits of Scaffolding Steel Boards
Scaffolding steel boards provide the greatest strength compared to wood boards, making them ideal for high load bearing applications in erecting temporary scaffolding platforms. Benefits of Spar Steel galvanized scaffold steel boards are:
- They are lightweight – up to 20% lighter than LVL scaffold boards.
- Spar boards are tested and conforming to the requirements of BS-EN12811
- They are robust and heavy-duty design – Load class 6 of BS-EN12811
- They are suitable for the hot climate of the Middle East.
- Their fire resistant feature is ideal for use where welding or burning is occurring.
- Galvanized steel boards are corrosion resistant as they don’t absorb water or chemicals.
- Their stackable design reduces storage and transportation costs.
If our clients require any specific sizes for scaffolding steel boards, we try to make and meet their specifications and supply on time. Here at Spar Steel, you can find all sizes and all types of metal scaffolding boards for your construction projects. We have experience of decades in the field of scaffolding quality components including scaffolding steel boards or planks manufacturing and supplying at competitive prices across the Gulf countries, UK, North Africa, etc. Contact us for more information.
What are ERW pipes, GP pipes, GI pipes, MS PIPES & Tubes | Their Manufacturing & Uses
Top Quality Steel Hollow Section Tubes: Types, Use, Benefits
Scaffolding manufacturer in UAE | Scaffolding Factory
Dr. Md. Usmangani
1. Blogger— specialist in scaffolding products analysis and recommendation of safe quality products to construction companies. 2. Web Content Writers—200K pages SEO based website content written for different companies across world. 3. Author—50+ academic and career books for school, college and universities courses. 4. Editor-in-Chief—6000+ books and magazines edited in different publication companies for academic courses and career aspirants